I first had the privilege of meeting my friend James, years ago when he was selling a beautiful “Painted Lady Victorian home” on Mayflower Avenue. Beautifully renovated, and through James’ hard work, the home was one of the first homes in New Rochelle given a Heritage Award. That sort of describes James. He worked so hard to bring the neighborhood together with a neighborhood association – which was basically a yearly gathering of the young professionals in the area getting together for Holiday parties.
When it was time for James to purchase again, he of course wanted to return to New Rochelle, and we had so much fun looking at various coop apartments together. Actually, with his significant other, Ricky! They found their 2 bedroom coop, have renovated it to perfection (but that is just them!), and whenever we get together, the hours pass by so quickly, with nice conversation and fun! James is the type of person who will send you that inspirational note that just makes you smile throughout the day.
Since James is such a goodwill Ambassador, I asked him to take some photos around our fair city, and to let me know how he feels about New Rochelle. I should also mention that when he told Mayor Noam Bransom he was returning, and getting married, Noam insisted on performing the ceremony! I guess that also describes our city too. We might BE a city, but we are just a close knit community too…Ricky and James are simply lovely, and are so happy they chose New Rochelle – where it is close to the city where they work, and yet offers so much more …
Here is why James and Ricky chose New Rochelle:
1) Everything is 5 blocks away!
* 3 beautiful parks on Long Island Sound
* the best & biggest? fruit & vegetable market in Westchester
* an awesome bakery
* 30 non-chain restaurants
* two full size supermarkets
* A bookstore
* A modern multiplex theater
* big library with cultural & kid programs
* High end consignment shop with on-site design services
* Two gyms
* Metro North station – 30 minutes to Grand Central
* Amtrak stop with trains to Boston &DC
* my favorite tattoo shop
Other thoughts on New Rochelle!
2) The Mayor married us!
3) you can still afford to buy a place!
4) it really is a big diverse city full of interesting characters
5) it’s a small town where everyone is related to or knows somebody you know
6) it’s quiet enough to sleep with your Windows open
7) it’s fun and funny
That also describes Ricky and James! – Fun and funny!
Come and visit New Rochelle – you will love it!
New Rochelle is GREAT!