This home (French Second Empire-style building), was perhaps the first brick home to have been built in New Rochelle in 1869, and the Mahlstedt family had a thriving ice making business until freezers were invented. The family then donated 40 acres to the city in 1922 for a park and new high school. The lake became Twin Lakes (one lake was actually man-made) and a causeway separated the two. The twin lakes are located in front of our high school, and the small house became the now Huguenot Branch ( Huguenot Children’s Library, a branch of the New Rochelle library).
New Rochelle is GREAT!